The Abyss - Incident At Europa
copyright 1999 by Jeanne W. Muse (e-mail: email@example.com)
MAPS are available for download from the game's official web site at this
Also see my web version of this file (with my own maps!) at:
If you have trouble picking up or using objects, alter your angle of approach.
Crouch down, look up or down, jump up to try again. Sometimes you must press
the Shift key and literally run into something to get it.
You can avoid many of the Mutants in Deepcore since they are confined to the
room or section where you find them, for the most part. It takes 2 shots from
your stunner to knock them down, but they will always get up again.
ACTIVATING THE POWER CORE
1. Stand facing the blue striped switch box and press spacebar. Bump into the
door to open it and leave the Compression/Decompression Chamber.
2. Walk through the next door to the Sub Bay.
3. Move left to the body (near the red chest) and get Level 1 Stunner. (Spouse
comments on infection.)
4. Turn around and enter the left door. This is the Locker Room. Get the Blue
Key Card from second locker from left. Bump into the suits. (Spouse comments
you need to find the helmet.) Leave Locker Room.
5. Walk to other end of the Moonpool and enter door on the right. Turn left and
walk straight to the end of the hall and are facing a door. Walk straight, bear
left and turn right to face another door. Enter the Infirmary and get Purple
Gel Pack from wall socket. Leave Infirmary.
6. Walk left, straight and then right. Turn right and enter the Mess Hall.
Pick up Screwdriver from table.
7. Walk straight and out the opposite door into the Galley. Ready the Level 1
Stunner. Leave Galley.
8. Walk straight into the Food Pantry. Shoot the Mutant (Ctrl key) twice to
stun. Keep walking straight to the Elevator Well. Recharge Stunner. Enter
Elevator. Go Up. Turn and Exit Elevator.
9. Walk through two doors and pause in hallway. Turn right and open Closet.
Look down and pick up Green Gel Pack from floor.
10. Turn around (right) and return to Elevator Well. Enter Elevator and Go
Down. When Elevator stops, go down again. Exit Elevator.
11. Go through Right door. Ready Stunner. Use Blue Key Card on wall panel.
Enter Doctor's Office and pick up 3 Polywater Keys. Leave Doctor's Office via
opposite door and walk into the Battery Room (through open doorway).
12. Use Screwdriver on Wall Box. Get Red Gel Pack. Mutant nearby. Shoot twice
to stun and walk straight to the next room.
13. This is the Main Power Core room. Mutant will follow you, but cannot walk
further into the room. Walk around and bump into several of the controls until
you find one with green markings that opens. Insert all three Gel Packs (red,
purple and green). Return to near mutant and bump into the box near the door.
(A comment is made about the government that I couldn't hear over the moanings
of the mutant.) Power Core is now Active.
MOVING DEEPCORE OFF OF THE ROCK
1. Push button on right to turn off the energy fields in the doorway. Walk
through, turn around and push the button again to turn it back on. Proceed back
to the Elevator Well. Go up once to Level Two.
2. From Elevator Well, walk through the first Food Pantry, the Galley and the
Mess Hall. Take the right-hand door into the hallway. Walk all the way to the
end of the hall and through it.
3. Enter the first left door into Maintenance Room B. Use screwdriver on wall
box and get the Yellow Gel Pack. Leave Maintenance Room B.
4. Proceed straight ahead through two living quarters. Pause at the pool and
arm the Stunner. Open the door, stun the Mutant, grab the Red Key Card and
5. Walk through the next room (ignoring the pool for now) and the next. Turn
left and enter the door to the hallway.
6. Make the first right. Insert the Red Key Card into the panel and enter the
7. Walk to the far right to pick up the Metal Deck Plate. Turn around and enter
the Elevator. Go up to Level 3 just beyond the debris.
8. Pick up the two Metal Deck Plates. Look down at the floor and use all three
Metal Deck Plates to cover the electric sparks. Walk across the plates.
9. Enter the far door and the first door on the left (Communications Lab).
Jump onto the table and get the NTI Translator. Approach the floating form to
use the translator. Leave this room.
10. Walk straight through the next room and into the next. Pick up the Air
Tank. Continue out and ready the Stunner. Quickly stun the approaching Mutant,
jump onto the chest to get the Ignition Key and leave.
11. Return through the next two rooms, taking a left into the hallway and get
on the Elevator. Go down into the Command center.
12. Use the Ignition Key in the Ignition console. Deepcore has been moved off
of the rock.
1. From the Command Center, head to the main Elevator shaft (right - straight
left and all the way to the end). Go down to Level 1. Turn left and enter that
1. Go to the Research Lab is located at the end of the long tunnel. Save your
game before entering here. Your stunner has no effect on the two meanies
inside, so put it away. Make sure you have a full health meter and get ready to
run! Your objective is to get both of the mutants to follow you into the
Containment Room and then trap them there. Then you can concentrate on the
other parts of the room.
2. Run directly toward the green button to the right of the Containment Room and
turn it to red (off).
3. Zig zag around so that they both are following you and run into the
Containment Room, jumping up onto the countertop. When both of them are
hovering at your heels, dart to the entry, turn and press the button to green!
(Note: Trapping them inside took me at least a dozen times! If any part of
their bodies gets through before you hit the button, they can get free. Keep
trying and you will eventually get it.)
4. Once they are trapped, notice the square red blocks on one of the curved
walls. From left to right turn each one green, leaving the third one red. Jump
up and get the Helmet from the box.
5. Jump up beside the box (behind the chair) and get the Blue Gel Pack. Leave!
6. Return to the Elevator and go up to Level 2. Return to the Locker Room (the
door immediately next to the Decompression Chamber door). Get the Fluid
7. Go back into the hall and return to the Pool in the Living Quarters.
8. Stand beside the pool facing the door through which you entered the room.
Step in the water.
9. Press the Z key to sink down. Swim forward through the next room and into
the far room (with the porthole window). Find the Multicharger in this room.
Quickly leave the way you came, finding the pool again. Use the / or A key to
rise and get out of the water (before you run out of air.)
10. Go back to the Moonpool. Jump In. (You will automatically use the suit.)
This is a difficult section to describe. The pathways are all curved with very
few (if any) right angles. Thus, an intersection is one where you must make a
decision to go left, right or straight. (Using the maps is essential here.)
Mutants are wandering around all over the Ark - both human and alien. You may
be able to avoid some of the human mutants by staying away from their rooms or
running away from them. You must handle some alien robots to finish this
section. They can be killed with 1 shot from the Level 2 Stunner, 2 shots from
your Level 1 Stunner. It may take more than 2 shots to stun the other mutants
and there are a couple of "boss mutants" running around that cannot be stunned
The Upper Level of the NTI Ark is divided into 8 Sectors. The Spires and some
side rooms encompass 4 of those Sectors. Living quarters and auxiliary rooms
comprise the other four.
GETTING UP INSIDE THE ARK
1. Look up. Notice a boxy platform juts out from the main column. You need to
get up there.
2. Find the bright blue button on the rounded wall and push it. Push away from
the wall and swim up and to the right. Get inside the the square tube platform
before the water recedes. (This might take a couple of tries because swimming
3. Walk through the water door and straight through the next large room to the
next water door.
TURNING ON SPIRE LASER 1
1. At the first intersection, take a left. At the first left door, turn off the
energy field (yellow switch beside the door) and enter. Hop up onto the right
shelves and get the Level 2 Stunner. Leave the room and go back to the right
(where you came from).
2. Go left at the intersection (the sensor lights and sounds to let you know
life is nearby). Enter the door on your right and walk directly across the Bar
and through the door behind the woman mutant.
3. Turn left. Walk while hugging the right wall and follow the walls around to
the right until you reach a door with a green energy field. Walk through the
door. Press the blue button on the wall. (Message will advise you have entered
Sector 8. Notice the green energy field has switched sides.) Walk through the
door with the green field into Sector 8.
4. Turn right and take the door to the right of the dividing wall. You enter a
room with triangle shaped floor tiles in different colors. Press the correct
tiles to remove the blue energy field at the door. In this case, turn all of
the tiles Blue. When you first enter, step on the middle triangle once; then
the left triangle once and finally the right triangle once (without walking over
any of the other tiles). A hidden corridor opens behind you (to the left of
the door). Without stepping on any of the musical tiles, follow the secret
corridor to a window with a gizmo in front of it. Operate the gizmo (spacebar).
Spire Laser 1 is Online - and you have increased the Jumpgate Power by 25%.
5. To leave the laser room, press the spacebar again and turn around to see the
blue energy field is gone for a moment. Walk through the doorway while the
field is off. Leave the musical tile room.
6. Walk straight ahead to reach a blue column (like the one you used at the
beginning). Walk around it and keep walking until you come to 2 corridors.
Follow one of the corridors to an open "observation" room. Look on the wall to
the left for the Adaptable Power Supply. You can recharge your stunners here,
if needed. (Note: All 4 of the Spires have this room and an Adaptable Power
Supply in each.)
FINDING PART 1 OF THE MUTAGEN CURE
1. Find the center post again (the one with the blue button). Try to enter the
panel with the hole in it. If it will not open, press the blue button. Enter
the panel with the hole and drop down. Exit through the door.
2. Look up above you to see the upper pathway. Follow it straight forward
until you come to another water door and enter there. Push the wall button.
You have entered the Main Power Core of the NTI Ark.
3. Walk to the center of the area to the Main Power Core. Unlock each of the
side rooms that have energy field locks. In one of them is Part 1 of the
Mutagen Cure. Pick it up.
4. There is nothing more to do in this section and the side rooms are hazardous
to your health! Leave the way you came in.
5. Walk through the rocks and seaweed to the water door you entered. While
facing inward, jump up to get out and exit the blue column.
TURNING ON SPIRE LASER 2
1. Make your way back to Sector 1, following the map. Find a room you recognize
(the Bar or Mess Hall) and go through the area, ending at the Airlock passage
between Sector 1 and 2 at the entrance of the Theater.
2. In the Theater turn right and find the other doorway (with red button next to
it) and go through it. Hug the left wall and go through the door at the end.
Take a left and enter the next end door.
4. Stop and notice the floor tiles. Left is gray; middle is green and right is
brown. Step on the left one once - turns it green. Step on the right one once
- turns it green. Step on the center on and it turns gray -- and the energy
field inside the door turns off (for a moment)! Walk through the door. (Repeat
the process of stepping on the center one again and again if you miss the first
opportunity through the door. No need to step on the others.)
5. Activate the laser. Spire Laser 2 is Online - Jumpgate Power is increased by
6. To leave the laser room, press the spacebar again and turn around to see the
blue energy field is gone for a moment. Walk through the doorway while the
field is off. Leave the musical tile room.
TURNING ON SPIRE LASER 3
1. Take the first door on the left. Go forward and enter the first door on the
right. Listen to what the alien has to say. (Press P to listen to it again.)
From the little I could understand, it tried to communicate something about a
"Caretaker" being Guardian of the Station of Europa and the Caretaker will tell
you what to do.
2. Move on through the next room and through the Airlock to Sector 3.
3. Bear right and around until you come to a doorway. Save your game! Run
straight through the first room and into the next where you will have your first
encounter with the Alien Robots here. In one of the rooms there are at least 2
guarding a golden globe on the floor. You need to get the Memory Orb before you
run for it. Aim a bit higher than normal to shoot the Robots. (Finally
something you can shoot that will stay dead!)
4. Run through the next room and into the passage that leads to the Airlock
hall. Go into Sector 4.
5. Walk straight through the Observation Room and pass the little water
cubicles, which should be on your right. Take a left into the room with the
6. This particular one seemed a bit more difficult than the rest ... at first
glance, that is. As usual they were set at Grey, Green and Brown. Try pausing
immediately when you first step inside (without stepping on any of the tiles)
and turning to your right. I found the hallway already open in 2 out of 3
instances .. and the tiles already set to Gray, Gray and Green.
7. Walk down the hall and activate the laser as before. Spire Laser 3 is Online
- Jumpgate Power is increased by 25%. (Only 1 more to go.) Leave in the usual
TURNING ON SPIRE LASER 4
1. Travel left and through the large Observation Room and to the Airlock. Push
the button and go into Sector 5.
2. Bear left and walk along that passage. Remember the location of that large
flower-panelled wall for later. For now, move on to finding Laser #4. Turn
around and bear left. Keep going straight ahead, taking no turns and walking
through any door in your path until you come to the Airlock hall to Sector 6.
3. Once in Sector 6, take a left and enter the room with the musical tiles.
This one was easy. Turn all of them midnight blue and walk down the corridor.
4. Operate the laser. Spire Laser 4 is Online - Jumpgate Power is increased by
25%. (It should be 100% online now.)
LEAVING THE NTI ARK IN THE JUMPSHIP
1. Return to the flower-panelled wall in Sector 5. Walk right through it!
It's a secret passage! Ready your laser and position it a bit high. A good
number of Robots are protecting the jumpship. When you come to an intersection,
2. You come to a big room which should look familiar. It is another Jumpship
Docking Bay like the one where you started. Beside the door is a button and you
can hear a humming sound. A force field is making that hum. Turn it off by
pressing the button.
3. Walk in the door and jump to the next higher level. Walk straight through
the doors and on until you reach a dark room. Notice that 4 lights are shining
around the room, representing the 4 Spire Lasers that are online. (Had you
found this earlier and before they had been activated, you would have noticed
the difference now. You can easily jump up to leave if you find that you have
forgotten something.) Get up close to the keyboard and press the spacebar.
EUROPA STATION & CAVERNS
If you are referring to the map of Europa Station (which you should be!) your
Jumpship arrives in the northern-most bay (the one pointing toward Command).
The corridors on Europa Station are narrower than on the NTI Ark. Even though
your stunners still do a decent job in eliminating the Robots (and there are
loads of them), there are several "Boss Mutants" who need to be dealt with.
There are no places to recharge your stunners here, but I'll tell you where to
find a Containment Field Projector which will "contain" the mutants that you
cannot kill. Use it sparingly. I saved it for only the "Boss Mutants" that I
could not avoid.
You will recognize the regular water doors, the doors that require a Polywater
Key to enter and the Airlock doors with their wavy green fields (there are
hundreds of them). You know that you always need to press the blue button in an
Airlock hall to go through the other door, so I won't tell you each time.
USING THE MEMORY ORB
1. Turn around and walk to the far wall. Jump up to get out of the ship and
walk through the Airlock until you are facing a big patch of seaweed. Ahh!!
Turn right and go through the first airlock door to your left. Walk left and
through the next airlock, continuing straight to a door where you must insert a
Polywater Key. You have found Command. Walk around either side of the dividing
wall and find the golden Memory Orb and pick it up. Leave Command.
2. Go through the airlock and straight, hugging the left wall. Take the first
right turn and turn right (ignoring the water door) and follow the passage until
you find a left turn.
3. Take that left turn and go throught the water door into the Comm. Lab. Here
you see a bunch of Memory Orbs. Walk around the room and notice where the
humming noise gets loudest. When you are facing a machine that looks like a
monitor on tentacled legs, select a Memory Orb from inventory and press the
spacebar. Pick up all of the Memory Orbs in the room and play each one. (To
hear the message again, press the P key. The ; and , keys scroll through the
list.) Before you leave, walk up to the machine that looks most like a Jukebox
and press the space bar. Turning on this NTI Transceiver should make is
possible for your spouse to contact you.
FINDING THE CONTAINMENT FIELD PROJECTOR
1. Leave the Comm Lab and take a left turn. Turn at the next possible right
and go through the Airlock. The room at the end of the hall has storage
containers that hold more Polywater Keys. (The containers look like fat
genies!) Leave and go back through the Airlock. Turn right. At the next
intersection, turn left. Then take the 2nd right turn.
2. The room is empty but you can hear a humming sound. There is a Secret
Passage here! Find the wall that looks off-color and a bit shaded. The wall is
directly opposite the door you entered. Walk through the wall and down the long
passageway to a round room.
3. At the end of the next corridor is the Containment Field Projector -- plus
your first victim. Pick up the weapon, SELECT IT and shoot the Mutant if you
can't avoid him. (It's just a temporary holding tank, but it'll get him stopped
in his tracks.)
FINDING PART 2 OF THE MUTAGEN CURE
1. Leave the Secret Passage to the main corridor. Turn right and keep going
straight and go through the first Airlock door you will find on your left.
2. Once on the otherside of the Airlock, turn right and then right again and
through another Airlock door that is protected by a Robot. Walk down this very
long, sweeping corridor and take the first left Airlock door.
3. Turn left, then right and insert a Polywater Key to enter Biological Sample
Storage. Find Part 2 of the Mutagen Cure on the floor behind the counter.
FINDING PART 3 OF THE MUTAGEN CURE
1. Leave the Biological Sample Storage room and take a left and then a right to
lead to the Airlock door. Once on the other side of the Airlock door, turn left
and walk directly to another airlock door, which you should go through. Then
walk along that corridor, bearing left at the next intersection and walk through
the water door. You have entered the Engineering Dept. of a Minisub Bay. (If
you are looking at the map, it is the Minisub Bay at the top left.)
2. Walk straight into this room (avoiding the Boss Mutant if you can). Find a
square hole in the floor and drop into it. (You'll need to jump up onto the rim
and then drop down into it.) Drop down once more and enter the Airlock.
Activate the button and ride in the Minisub. You have arrived in Cavern 1.
Note: The Minisubs are preprogrammed to take you to the four caverns in
sequential order, so it does not matter which Minisub you travel in first - you
will always start in Cavern 1. The Minisub will continue to recharge while you
search for the one item available from this cavern. Once you have the one item,
the Minisub will take you back -- and cannot be used again. Get in another
Minisub to go to the next cavern.
1. There are 2 exits. (The left passage is a dead end, but has a clump of
healthy first aid sod.) While facing the Minisub, turn right and take that
passage. Follow it along until you reach a pool of water. Jump in.
2. This underwater passage will fork. Look for a right passage (it is hard to
see) which winds around to the right to a pool above you where you can exit.
(If you take the left one by mistake, it will also lead to a pool. That path
leads to a large room with two adjoining passages. There is a first aid rock in
one of the rooms, and a winged mutant wanders around here, but nothing else.)
3. Once out of the water, walk straight ahead. It is almost impossible to
avoid the one item you need - a Metal Plank. After picking it up, leave.
4. To get back to the Minisub, go to the pool and jump in. While swimming take
the left passage to the exit hole. The path from there leads to the Minisub,
which will take you back to the Station. Jump up twice to get back to the
Engineering Dept. of this Minisub Bay.
5. Turn and walk around the box to the right, walking forward and out the far
exit. (A point of reference can be the observation room entrances should be on
the left of the Minisub bay.) Turn left, and take the second left (the first
left is probably the entrance to another Jumpship. It is guarded by a Robot).
Go through a water door into another Engineering Dept. for a Minisub Bay (bottom
left on the map). Be ready - this Bay is protected by a group of Robots and
several other pesky mutants. Find the square hole in the floor. Jump in and
down to activate the button and travel to Cavern 2.
1. Turn completely around so that the Minisub is behind you. There are six
separate passages to choose from. Walk toward the right and take the first right
passage. Make your way through the narrow corridors until you come to a low,
rectangle opening. Press the Z key to crouch down and carefully walk forward.
A message on your screen advises that you need to put something across the
"Unjumpable Chasm". Get close to the edge on the right side. Select the Metal
Plank and press the spacebar. Walk across the plank to the other side.
2. Continue forward, bearing right until you find a boiling pool of water with
stepping stones. Jumping across these stepping stones is tricky. With each
successful leap, SAVE. It helps to look down (PageDown key) to make sure you
are standing on the very edge of each stone before you jump. You will be doing
a zigzag pattern across the pool. (Sorry - it was too difficult to map.)
3. After you are across, follow the passageway to a room with a colorful
machine and a winged mutant. Take the other door out and follow that corridor
to a murky pond with something in mid-air above it. Walk into the pond and get
4. You must now go back the way you came - stepping stones and all! Once you
are back at the Minisub, you can explore the other caverns if you wish. You
have the item you came for so you can leave in the Minisub when you want to.
Jump up twice again to get back into the Engineering Dept.
5. Find the entrances to the observation rooms and keep them on your left so
you exit in the proper place. Stay hugging the left wall and keep going
straight until you reach a water door. Go inside the third Engineering
Department (bottom right on the map) and find the square hole. Jump in, press
the button and travel to Cavern 3.
1. This cavern is so easy -- a welcome relief from the one before it! See the
rock that is blocking the entry to the only passage. Use the Sludge on the rock
to "make it slippery" and it rolls out of the way. Travel down the path to the
end. Pick up the Stalactite and return the way you came!
2. Once back in Engineering, find the proper exit by keeping the entries to the
observation rooms on your left once again. In the hallway, hug the left wall
and take the second passage left (through a water door). You should have
arrived in the last Engineering Department (top right on the map). The Minisub
here will take you to the last cavern - Cavern 4.
1. There are two exits from the Minisub location. Find the running water and
jump into it. Travel to the end and be ready to jump at the waterfall. Once
you are on the step-bridge, jump and walk over to the other side. Walk through
the exit on the other side and take the right fork at the first intersection.
There will be an opportunity to turn left -- do so. At the end of the passage,
pick up the Thermal Lichen.
2. Leave and bear to the left as you walk. When you come to the end of the
passage and are facing a big, black empty space, walk straight into it. You
have a slight fall down to where the Minisub sits.
3. Turn right and walk past the river and all the way to the end. Go in the
entryway on the right. While travelling, keep to the right.
4. You come upon a large room which has an exit on the opposite side. Walking
in this narrow passage, follow the right path again until you find a pool of
water. Jump into it. (Note: The water may be too hot to enter. Go get the
Thermal Lichen. See #1 above.)
5. The swim underwater seems a bit longer than normal. You should go right
when you see an opportunity. Find the exit waterhole and go up. Follow the
path in front of you to another big room. This one has pillars of various
heights which form steps to the higher level.
6. Jump up on the stepping stones and over to the other side. You come to a
large room which appears to be a dead end. Find a wall that looks different
than the rest. Use the Stalactite on the wall and go get Part 3 of the Mutagen
7. Leave and return the way you came to Minisub. Get on and jump up to the
SAVING THE PLANET
You are ready to combine the ingredients of the cure. To do that, go to the
Science Lab. If you are looking at the map, your last Minisub trip was on the
one from the top right Bay. I found it easiest to go through the bottom right
Bay and then to the Science Lab.
1. With the entrances to the observation rooms on your right this time, find the
water door exit. Once out, hug the right wall. Do not turn at the first right.
Instead follow the hallway to the right and into another water door. Enter this
Engineering room and walk all the way through it (almost straight) and out the
far water door.
2. Bearing right again, walk past the first left door. Turn left and enter the
Airlock door there. Keeping basically straight, make no turns until you find
another Airlock door. Go through it. On the other side you will want to take
the very first right turn. This pathway leads to the Science Lab where you must
use another Polywater Key to enter.
3. Walk to the left side of the room to the machine on the wall. This is the
NTI Cure Making Machine. Select each part of the Mutagen Cure from inventory
and press the spacebar to insert each one into the machine. A "thank you" is
all you receive in return.
4. Understanding the aliens has never been easy, but this time it seemed it
said something about needing to terraform the planet. The planet cannot be
terraformed while Europa Station is on its surface. You must launch Europa
Station, which must be done from the Command room.
5. Exit the Science Lab and take a right. Take the 2nd Airlock door you come
to (it's is directly in front of you), then follow the left passage. Hug the
left wall and keep walking straight making no turns until you are faced with
another Airlock door. Once on the other side of it, keep walking straight,
ignoring all turns until you come again to an Airlock door. Go through it,
follow the left path to another Airlock door. You should hear the humming of
the Command center as soon as the airlock cycles.
6. Walk to the other side of the dividing wall and behind the counter where the
Memory Orb once stood. Activate the Power Switch (left mechanism with red star-
like design). Activate the Launch Sequence (right mechanism with the yellow
circle pattern). THE END